Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab

Hardcover, 287 pages           
Release Date: September 3, 2019
Published by: Scholastic Press
Read from: September 26-28, 2019
Cassidy Blake, #2
Source: Library
TW: N/A
For fans of: Paranormal, Ghosts, Adventure, 


     Trouble is haunting Cassidy Blake . . . even more than usual.
     She (plus her ghost best friend, Jacob, of course) are in Paris, where Cass's parents are filming their TV show about the world's most haunted cities. Sure, it's fun eating croissants and seeing the Eiffel Tower, but there's true ghostly danger lurking beneath Paris, in the creepy underground Catacombs.
     When Cass accidentally awakens a frighteningly strong spirit, she must rely on her still-growing skills as a ghosthunter -- and turn to friends both old and new to help her unravel a mystery. But time is running out, and the spirit is only growing stronger.
     And if Cass fails, the force she's unleashed could haunt the city forever.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I remember picking up the first book in this series only because of the author and not caring that this was MG. And I'm glad I never let that stop me, because I love Cassidy and her creepy best friend lol 
"Maybe it's because everything is spookier at night. It's why people are afraid of the dark. What you can't see is always scarier than what you can."
pg. 19
     Cassidy's parents have chosen the next place for their show: Paris. Cass is excited to do all the touristy things, but she accidentally wakes up a strong and scary spirit while there. She has to find a way to reap him and keep her loved ones (and everyone else in Paris apparently) safe. She has to be sure she can do this.....
"It's hard to believe in ghosts until you see one, and then it's hard not to."
pg. 37
     One of the best parts of this has to be the characters. I LOVE Cass. She is so strong and determined. And let me just say, I don't know that I'd be strong enough to do the things she has. And she's a kid! And Jacob, though I still think he's creepy, I can say he was essential to the story. (I guess I feel like Lara) I just hope he stays the way he is and doesn't do more. (When you read it, you'll understand)
"Most tales are inspired by something."
pg. 110
     I also like the settings of this series. I loved that they came to Paris. I just wish she had given us more worldbuilding. Maybe she didn't give us as much because it's a real place or because its MG, who knows? But I wish there was more. I have never been to the catacombs, but I would love to see how damp and gross and icky it might have been. 
"Fear claws across my skin- fear of heights, fear of falling, fear that this will work, fear that it won't- but maybe this fear is important."
pg. 196-197
     But overall it was a solid story that had me hooked. I don't know the last book I read in two days. I really enjoyed being back with these characters and adding one more. Hopefully we see that person in book 3!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,