Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker (illustrated by Wendy Xu)

Paperback, 256 pages           
Release Date: October 22, 2019
Published by: Lion Forge
Read from: November 16-17, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: Witchcraft
For fans of: Paranormal, Romance, LGBTQIAP+, Graphic Novels, Disbility, YA


     A story of love and demons, family and witchcraft.
     Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers' bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.
     One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected: her childhood crush, Tam Lang, battling a horse demon in the woods. As a werewolf, Tam has been wandering from place to place for years, unable to call any town home.
     Pursued by dark forces eager to claim the magic of wolves and out of options, Tam turns to Nova for help. Their latent feelings are rekindled against the backdrop of witchcraft, untested magic, occult rituals, and family ties both new and old in this enchanting tale of self-discovery.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This graphic novel was a bit of a surprise for me. I remember adding this to my TBR when I didn't even know what this was about. And although I don't really like graphic novels, there are some that I just know I will like. And of course, I was definitely right about this one. 
     Nova works for her grandmother's bookshop. They sell books that help the supernatural. And then she begins getting calls about a lone white wolf into the woods. As it turns out, it's Tam, her childhood crush. And Tam actually needs Nova's help. During this time, they find each other again and things start changing quickly. Faster than they've ever thought. 
     I LOVED the diversity in this one. Someone is hearing impaired, someone else is gender neutral, and so much more. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in something like a graphic novel. Hell, I don't think there's a lot of books that have this much inclusion. But I was so happy to see it in the book and I really would like to see more like this in the future. 
     I also liked the writing style. This was a very interesting book that had a very weird twist to it. But it also made me want to ask more questions about some of the things that happened. Like the cult.... I need more back story about it and I'd like to know more about what happens after this. Are they ok? I want them to be ok lol 
     The only thing I didn't care completely for was the art. It was good, but I wanted more color. Granted it was colorful, but it was so dark. I wanted more brightness. Especially since the cover looks so bright and beautiful. But when you open it, the art is the opposite. But overall, it was ok. 
     There's nothing like reading a good graphic novel! Sometimes I just need a break from the longer books. And this one was just the thing to help cure my book slump. I really hope there's more coming from these two. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,