Lucky Caller by Emma Mills

ARC, 323 pages           
Release Date: January 14, 2020
Published by: Henry Holt & Company
Read from: January 20-24, 2020
Companion Novel (Past Characters Mentioned)
Source: Publisher (I received a copy of this book from the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: N/A
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Radio/Podcasts, Friendships, Sparkly Covers, YA


     When Nina decides to take a radio broadcasting class her senior year, she expects it to be a walk in the park. Instead, it’s a complete disaster.
     The members of Nina's haphazardly formed radio team have approximately nothing in common. And to maximize the awkwardness her group includes Jamie, a childhood friend she'd hoped to basically avoid for the rest of her life.
     The show is a mess, internet rumors threaten to bring the wrath of two fandoms down on their heads, and to top it all off Nina's family is on the brink of some major upheaval.
Everything feels like it's spiraling out of control―but maybe control is overrated?
     With the warmth, wit, intimate friendships, and heart-melting romance she brings to all her books, Emma Mills crafts a story about believing in yourself, owning your mistakes, and trusting in human connection in Lucky Caller.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I saw there was another book by Emma Mills coming out, I promptly added it to my TBR. Idk, maybe its because the last book by her I read was Famous in a Small Town and I LOVED that one, but this one just wasn't my favorite. 
"It's not our busines. Oaky. That's their business. 'When does someone else's business become your business?' 'It doesn't,' she had replied. 'Unless they choose to make it that way."
pg. 95
     Nina is coming up on her senior year, so she picks an elective that she thinks she may easily get away with: a radio broadcasting class. But, things start overwhelming her from the beginning. A friend whom she tried to get away from joins her group, the show's a mess, and there are rumors about the show that continue to spread. Paired with friendships and romances that Emma Mills brings to all her books. 
"...learning that people come in and out of your life, and that there are all kinds of levels od friendship, all different types. And maybe you'll make a friend, and you won't see them again, but it doesn't devalue what you had with them or the time you spent together. That's still valid, even if it wasn't built to last. It's not any less significant, you know?"
pg. 155
     The best thing about this book was the plot. It reminded me of another book I just read recently by Kasie West. I think with the addition of the special guests and showing some of the other groups, made it different enough that I didn't feel like I was reading the same story. And it was about two completely different things, but in both of them, the end result was the same: whether they'll be together or not at the end. 
"That would just make it even more about me and about making myself feel better. Maybe sometimes you just have to ride out the discomfort of your own guilt."
pg. 190-191
     However, I was not a fan of Nina. She seemed mean to everyone. And I know it was her awkwardness, but it still seemed rude. Towards the end I liked her a bit more because she didn't seem to act that way with everyone. Or maybe I just got used to her. Whatever the reason is, I think she was the reason I didn't really fall for this one. 
"Is doing a bad thing, for a good reason stil bad?" 'Sasha shrugged. 'Probably depends on the circumstances.' A smile. "Here's hoping not?'"
pg. 201
     This one wasn't my favorite, but I still love Emma Mills. I will continue to read whatever it is that she wants to put out. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,