Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters by Emily Roberson

E-Audio, 09:36:33
Narrated by: Amanda Dolan
Release Date:  October 22, 2019
Published by: Macmillan Audio
Read from: January 26-30, 2020
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: Violence
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Mythology, Retellings, YA

     Sixteen-year-old Ariadne’s whole life is curated and shared with the world. Her royal family’s entertainment empire is beloved by the tabloids, all over social media, and the hottest thing on television. The biggest moneymaker? The Labyrinth Contest, a TV extravaganza in which Ariadne leads fourteen teens into a maze to kill a monster. To win means endless glory; to lose means death. In ten seasons, no one has ever won.
     When the gorgeous, mysterious Theseus arrives at the competition and asks Ariadne to help him to victory, she doesn’t expect to fall for him. He might be acting interested in her just to boost ratings. Their chemistry is undeniable, though, and she can help him survive. If he wins, the contest would end for good. But if she helps him, she doesn’t just endanger her family’s empire―the monster would have to die. And for Ariadne, his life might be the only one worth saving.
     Ariadne’s every move is watched by the public and predestined by the gods, so how can she find a way to forge her own destiny and save the people she loves?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Not going to lie, when I first heard about this book, I was really excited for it. I love anything with a mythology twist. But then I read the synopsis and I was less than thrilled. It sounded like the Kardashians acting out the myth of the labryinth. But it was much more than that. 
     Ariadne has led 14 teens to their death in a maze with a minotaur for years. All the while for ten seasons, its been filmed. And no one has won yet. But then Theseus arrives and asks her for help. She knows she can't help him, but she also doesn't want to let him go. Does she help him and lose her family, or does she not and continue her life as she knows it. 
     This was so much better than I thought it would be. I loved the contemporary twist to the legend. There were cell phones, cameras, and so much more. I thought it was going to be like The Kardashians or something. It was like a really, really muted version of it. And that I didn't mind. 
     As for the writing style and the narration, I really liked this one. I'm always amazed when I just know I won't like something, but then I give it a try and I do. I always try to figure out why I thought it wouldn't be great. This one was mainly the synopsis and the cover. Basically shows me not to judge and I know better.
     The mtyh was basically the very best part of this book. There's hardly any books (if any) on this myth so it's hella unique. And I really love the way it was told. If you're aware of the myth (like I was) you may have already knew what would happen, but even knowing what was coming, I still found it enjoyable. 
     This book was surprising for me. I'm not a fan of reality tv, but for this to be such a big part of this book, it was still interesting to look at the difference. Definitely isn't my normal read, but I'm glad I read it nonetheless. 
Overall, I give this