One of Us is Next by Karen M. McManus

E-Audio, 10:24:54
Narrated by: Maria Liatis, Holly Linneman, Fred Berman, Karissa Vacker
Release Date:  January 7, 2020
Published by:  Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group
Read from: February 3-5, 2020
One of Us is Lying, #2
Source: Library 
TW: Death, Drinking
For fans of: Contemporary, Mystery, Thriller, YA

     The highly anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling thriller everyone is talking about, One of Us Is Lying! There's a new mystery to solve at Bayview High, and there's a whole new set of rules.
     Come on, Bayview, you know you've missed this.
     A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his shocking death, no one's been able to fill the gossip void quite like he could. The problem is no one has the facts.
     Until now.
     This time it's not an app, though—it's a game.
     Truth or Dare.
     Phoebe's the first target. If you choose not to play, it's a truth. And hers is dark.
     Then comes Maeve and she should know better—always choose the dare.
     But by the time Knox is about to be tagged, things have gotten dangerous. The dares have become deadly, and if Maeve learned anything from Bronwyn last year, it's that they can't count on the police for help. Or protection.
     Simon's gone, but someone's determined to keep his legacy at Bayview High alive. And this time, there's a whole new set of rules.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     The more books by Karen McManus I read, the more I love her. She's definitely climbing my list of favorite thriller writers and resting right beside my other favorite, Kara Thomas and Courtney Summers. And this definitely sealed the deal. 
     Even with Simon gone, Bayview can't seem to stay out of the news. Now there's a Truth or Dare game happening at the school and it's turning out to be.... deadly. These new teens aren't ready for these new rules, but they have to be in order to make sure Simon's legacy doesn't stay alive. 
     Maybe I'm being over dramatic, but I didn't like that this was a sequel. I felt it could have been its own story. It seemed like just a tack on to me. Maybe it was the amount of time in between, but it just didn't flow to me. And then to have those old characters there... I just could have done without them. And that's so weird because I love companion novels. But this one just wasn't the best for me. 
    Basically, I liked everything else about this lol It had the classic omg moment that McManus brings to all her books. I just wish there were more of those moments. I haven't read (listened?) to a book that fast in so long. The writing style was just as good as her others. If you love thrillers, give it a try. 
     As for the plot, there were some things I thought it was a bit over the top, but overall, it was still awesome. And the culprit, it was basically revealed in two parts. I had the original part, but not the second part. Safe to say it was not what I was expecting. And that's not normal because of how many thrillers I read. And I love when that happens. 
     This book was not everything I wanted, but it was still so awesome. Thrillers are my favorite, and its books like this one that make me remember why I like them so much. All the mindblowing reveals and the gasping, clutch my pearls moments, its definitely a book with all of those things. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , ,