Page to Screen Review: The Stranger by Harlan Coben





TV-MA, 42 minutes
Release Date: 2020

     Follows the lives of suburban families whose secrets and lies are made public by the appearance of a stranger.  (From IMDb)

 *MY THOUGHTS*

     Maybe it's because I've been living under a rock, or maybe its because I don't really read much adult, but I did not know that Harlan Coben had a deal with Netflix to make his books or write some scripts for Netflix. This news is like 2 years old, so I'm like, how did I  not know it at all? My library wasn't even talking about it smh
     Think of your deepest, darkest secret. Now think of how you'd feel if that same secret got out. That's what the Stranger is doing to people. No one and nothing is safe. Be careful what you do, someone's always watching. 
     When I read the book, I wasn't very impressed. The dialogue was super juvenile, (someone got pistol whipped and said, "Ow that really hurt! That hurt alot!" -__-) and the rest of the writing was mediocre. I even contemplated DNF-ing sometimes. But I was really into what some of the other secrets were lol I admit, I was nosey. But in the end, there were only like 3 large secrets that were disclosed throughout the entire book. It made me a bit weary of what the show would be like. 
     However, if the rest of this show is like Episode 1, I definitely feel better. For the most part, the show was very close to the book, but the dialogue sounded like real people. But I haven't gotten to the pistol whip and the "Mr. Secret Keeper" part quite yet. I will for sure let you all know if that nonsense is still in it. 
     The show is your usual crime drama. So far there are changes from the book, but with it being made into a tv show and not a movie, I'm not surprised. There are several more of Coben's books on Netflix. I have already requested the next one I intended to watch after I've read it. 
    Overall, I give Episode 1 

Labels: , , , ,