The Night Country by Melissa Albert

E-Audio, 10:23:21
Narrated by:  Rebecca Soler & James Fouhey
Release Date:  January 7, 2020
Published by:  Macmillan Audio
Read from: Macmillan Audio
The Hazel Wood, #2
Source: Library 
TW:  
For fans of: Fantasy, YA

     The highly anticipated sequel to Melissa Albert’s beloved, New York Times bestselling debut The Hazel Wood!
     In The Night Country, Alice Proserpine dives back into a menacing, mesmerizing world of dark fairy tales and hidden doors. Follow her and Ellery Finch as they learn The Hazel Wood was just the beginning, and that worlds die not with a whimper, but a bang.
     With Finch’s help, Alice escaped the Hinterland and her reclusive grandmother’s dark legacy. Now she and the rest of the dregs of the fairy tale world have washed up in New York City, where Alice is trying to make a new, unmagical life. But something is stalking the Hinterland’s survivors―and she suspects their deaths may have a darker purpose. Meanwhile, in the winking out world of the Hinterland, Finch seeks his own adventure, and―if he can find it―a way back home...

 *MY THOUGHTS*

     When I read the synopsis of this one, I wasn't quite sure what was going on here. It confused me a little bit. But once I started reading it, it made so much more sense and it was actually really interesting. 
     Alice dives back into the stories of the Hinterland during this installment of the The Hazel wood. It seems as if she just escaped her grandmother, but just when she least expects it, she's dragged back. The characters from the stories have all been ousted to New York City where Alice is now. But something has the other characters in their cross-hairs and is killing them. Meanwhile, Finch is creating his own adventure while still in the Hinterland...
     This was a bit confusing to me. I think it was because I was panicking and thinking I didn't really remember what happened in The Hazel Wood. It was January 2018 when I read that. I didn't really remember a lot about it besides the stories and the other land. But as it turned out, this was like it's own story. There wasn't very much you had to remember from the first one. Just Finch and Alice's stories and a small amount of how they escaped. For the most part, this was it's own story and I found that really refreshing. It's always so hard to pick up a sequel when you don't really remember what happened in book 1. It's always the reason why I don't really continue series.
     The plot in this book though was even crazier than The Hazel Wood. There were some really strange things happening and I wasn't sure at all where it was going. So of course, I loved that lol And the fact that there's books and stories involved made it even better. I was entranced by the ways Finch communicated and the way Alice and him worked to figure out the mystery of what and who this one character was. It was a very weird story, told in a very weird way, but it was still weird good.
     The characters were still cool and super messed up. Even more so in this one as they try to figure out what's happening. For that I won't make any judgement calls on them. It's hard to do anything in a story that's as messed up as this one lol
     Since I listened to the audio, I'll also tell you about the narrator. There were 2 narrators. One was Rebecca Soler and the other was James Fouhey. They made for a great story and I already want to read another that they're on together. (Rebecca Soler is my favorite. She did the audios for the Cinder series!
     It wasn't a surprise that I liked this. I really enjoyed the first one as well. I can't wait to see if there will be more! And also, if you're like me and realized that there was extra time left after the audio, you can listen to it and hear more of the tales from the Hinterland. I imagine it's the same in a physical book. But I turned mine in too early to listen to them. Looks like I'll be getting the physical book soon.
Overall, I give this

Labels: ,