Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis

ARC, 328 pages
Release Date: October 14, 2014
Published by: Disney-Hyperion
Stand-alone
Source: ATWT
For fans of: Re-tellings, Fantasy, Sci-Fi



     Princess Snow is missing.
     Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back-but that's assuming she wants to return at all.
     Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.
     When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane's arrival was far from accidental, and she's pulled into the heart of a war she's risked everything to avoid.
     In her enthralling debut, R.C. Lewis weaves the tale of a princess on the run from painful secrets . . . and a poisonous queen. With the galaxy's future-and her own-in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.

 *MY THOUGHTS*

     I really thought I would love this one considering how much I love the Lunar Chronicles, but sometimes being the same isn't the best. I want to say though, if I hadn't read Meyer's series, I probably would've loved this one.
"Youi should stop Essie.' I muttered. 'You're not bloody invincible.."
pg. 3
     I don't want this to turn into a complete compare and contrast (especially since Meyer's take on Snow White isn't even out yet), but I will say the two were very similar. There were "street" fights, robots that can serve as assistants, ship crashes..... Almost exactly the same. And then the person who she turned out to be? Yeah at that point I was predicting the rest of the story. I know technically it's a re-telling so it doesn't really count, but still, I shouldn't know the entire story, plot twists and all. 
"Face it Essie, you're no killer"
pg. 89
     But, the writing style was good. It's what made me want to keep reading it, I need to read something else by R.C. Lewis to fully hear her voice. Just to make sure that I really did really enjoy it. Unfortunately, this is a debut, so I'll have to wait a long while for it. Hopefully it stays as a stand-alone because adding another book like this one would do nothing but make this more like the other books.  
"You have nothing to fear."
pg. 271
     I also liked the way she incorporated all the elements of Snow White together. Like the mines lol It was pretty cool to have an entire planet dedicated to it. And then the robots that actually had names like Cusser and Dimwit lol I thought it was really cute and a creative way to still have the dwarves around. 
     Now for the plot, I understand that this is a re-telling, but she barely made it her own. It was easily predictable and I knew mostly everything that would happen chapters before it did. Normally I'm ok with guessing the plot, but when it's for most of the story and I'm already upset the book, it becomes a little discouraging. 
"Keep the face on, Essie. Keep up the act.."
pg. 273 
     As expected, this was just like something else I read. And that something else just happens to be my favorite series... I ended up having that in the back of my mind the entire time and I couldn't stray from it. Maybe I need to read something else by her. Maybe if you haven't read the series I mean you can start with this one instead! That way you won't have anything to compare it to. As for the rest of it, it wasn't really a bad story, it just wasn't for me. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , ,