Beyond the Book: The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it! 

The Beautiful and the Cursed
This Beyond the Book is dedicated to The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan

     Before reading this, I had never thought much about gargoyles. I always thought they were just big ugly things on the sides of buildings. I never thought that I would ever get the chance to read anything about about gargoyles. Let alone a YA title. But this one surprised me. And it made me dive head first into wanting to know more about the mythology of gargoyles. 
"Her watchman. Her guardian.
Her gargoyle."
So, naturally after I read this, I went on a research hunt:
     The very first gargoyle was from the legendary dragon La Gargouille, "that lived in the River Seine, which in the 7th Century was ravaging the town and people of Rouen. It was slain by St Romanus, the Archbishop of Rouen. After the dragon was slain its body was set ablaze, its body was consumed by fire but the head and neck survived and was mounted on a building." Call me weird, but I thought that was cool. Besides, I'm sure not everyone can kill a dragon lol
     Also, I found myself connecting to this a little more because I'm Catholic and we have some gargoyles on our church. I always just thought that they were just for decoration, but the legend says that " they were used to ward of evil and to act as guardians of the church to keep the terrible spirits of evil away and were inspired from a passage written in the bible." 
     Some even say "they come alive at night when everyone's asleep so they can protect you when you're vulnerable." I love this because that's exactly what Luc did! He was an awesome protector no matter what anyone else said. And let's be honest, the buildings that gargoyles are on are actually pretty old, big, and scary. I would love to have someone looking after me.
     I learned so much from reading this book, not just about the time period, but also about gargoyles. This paranormal romance is one to be remembered! As I mentioned in my review: "This book is the poster for paranormal reads. It has a great villain a unique paranormal creature, and a world filled with drama." In other words, if you haven't read this already.... What are you waiting for?!

Info taken from: 1/2






Labels: