Beyond the Book: Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. It will pop up on Mondays! Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it!

Not a Drop to Drink

"Water water everywhere, but nor a drop to drink."
     
     When I heard about this book, I was a little worried about what I would think. I'm not a huge fan of dystopians, but reading this definitely made me think twice about water and why it's so important. So, today's Beyond the Book will tell about why it's important to drink and why clean water is important to the environment!

#1: My number one thing for drinking water is because it controls calories. It doesn't have any special powers, but getting it instead of a soda will definitely help your weight loss. 

#2. Water keeps your skin looking good.  Although over hydration doesn't erase wrinkles, it helps to prevent them more. Dehydration makes the skin get dry and wrinkle up. 

#3. It helps to boost your immune system. Someone who drinks water often is less likely to get sick than someone who doesn't. 

#4. The total amount of water on the Earth is about 326 million cubic miles of water. That's about 70% of the Earth's surface. With it being all over, imagine if it was gone.... What would the Earth be like? 

#5. Although we need to drink so much each day, water is still one of the leading causes for diseases in other countries. Why you ask? Pollution. 

     In Not a Drop to Drink, Lynn was fighting off people that came to her pond away from other people that came up and tried taking some. She was a hard girl that didn't take any sh*t and it seemed as though she had no feelings. In a world like this, it was good for her to be this way. Water is clearly an impertinent part of the world we live in. Just imagining living in the world that Lynn and her family shared is scary. I hope the world never becomes dark and dry like this one. So, remember this book next time your server asks what you'd like to drink, or you try and pick up a soda instead of a bottle of water. Tomorrow is not promised, And neither is it's water. 

For more facts about water, visit these pages:
1/2

Have you ever had such a connection with a book that you had to go beyond just reading it? 

Join me on Mondays with Beyond the Book! 

Labels: