Beyond the Book: On the Fence by Kasie West


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. It will pop up on Mondays! Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it!

On the Fence

     "A girl who plays disc golf?' Jerom said. 'That's hot.' 
     Gage curled his lip, 'I don't know. A girl who plays disc golf? She's probably a dog. Some aggressive, burly thing.'
     The guys laughed, not seeming to realize I was standing right there... playing dic golf."
pg. 86

     What I loved about this book was the fact that I saw so much of me in Charlie. I know I say I see me in so many characters, but I really felt a connection with this one. Why? Because I can definitely relate to her and her feelings. 

     I've been a tomboy all my life. My dream job (other than being a librarian) is actually to work for ESPN as a sportscaster. And when I said that in high school, all dudes looked at me crazy. And in college when I said I wanted to "go watch a game and drink a brew" with them, they looked at me like I had sprouted another head. But the truth is, that's what I like to do.
      I don't do dresses or skirts. I can get lost watching Steven A Smith because of his pure passion for all things sports. I used to play basketball outside in a sports bra and basketball shorts.... with only guys. On Sunday I WILL watch the game as I'm in the kitchen making Sunday dinner. I HATE make up; it takes too long and it never stays the way you put it on. I will hush you if my favorite team is playing... and then proceed to yell at the television. I am VERY competitive. I saw Charlie being interested in these same things. (At least she had an excuse... She grew up around ONLY guys. I grew up around only girls and I'm still that way smh lol)
     Now when I was reading this I was just amazed at all the things I had in common with her. But then I saw a quote like the one above and I felt like she was my spirit animal. I definitely know that feeling. Being the only girl and having everyone look at you as one of the guys really makes you feel a certain way.Thinking back to that instance made me realize it was their bad. If they didn't like me because I was interested in the same things as them, then they were just really firm believers in the whole opposites attract thing. Or that's what I kept saying lol 
     
     My favorite part was when she started realizing that there was more to her than just sports and beating up the guys. It took me a while to get used to that too, but there's always more than just one side to a girl. You just need something that brings it out of you. And now I'm not afraid to admit that I will NOT object to going to the nail shop. I will ALWAYS be in the mood for a pedicure. Read/See something sweet happening? I WILL swoon. Date night? I will spend hours looking for something to wear. If the occasion calls for it, I will wear a dress and some heels and look damn good in it. Charlie may prefer to do other things over these just like me, but that doesn't mean we won't do it at all (or really, REALLY WELL). 
     So when girls prefer shorts and pants to dresses or skirts, or tennis shoes to heels, so what. It doesn't make them any less than the girls that prefer the opposites. You just have to find someone that compliments and understands you. Like I said in my review, "I'm so happy that just like her I was able to find someone who loved me for me and not what I pretended to be." But there will be some people who look down on it or even make fun of you for it, but guess what... People suck. Just tell them let you live the life you want. You live your life to please YOU, NOT THEM. 

Are you a tomboy/girlie girl?
Do you have any stories when you weren't comfortable with your "other side"? 

Have you ever had such a connection with a book that you had to go beyond just reading it? 

Join me on Mondays with Beyond the Book! 

Labels: