Beyond the Book: Summer Lovin Contemps & Cocktails!


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. It will pop up on Mondays! Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it!

     I love to match the books I read with the seasons the book is set in. Why? Because it feels more like I'm right there. My favorite types of books to do this with? Summery Contemporary romances! And with Texas starting to dry up and the temperature beginning to climb higher and higher already, I'm a little excited to get to reading some of these! 
     Another thing I like to pair with my reading is drinks. And with it getting so much hotter outside, what better way than to sit back and relax with a nice summery drink to read it with? (Please note, I am 25 and these drinks are for those 21 and up!)

Here are my Top 5 favorite Summer Lovin YA contemporary romances matched with it's perfect summery drink! 

1. Golden by Jessi Kirby & The Golden Girl:
     The Golden Girl has Grapefruit juice and Prosecco in it. Although I'm not a huge fan of Grapefruit juice, I said I would take a chance and try this because that's what Parker did in Golden. She took a chance and decided to finally do something for her. And let's be honest, the Prosecco in this may make me not even remember the grapefruit juice is even there lol

2. What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick & a Peach Margarita:
     A margarita is a fruity, fun drink that everyone can enjoy. And let's be honest, the boys in this one love to flirt and everyone would enjoy them too lol And Cass from What I Thought Was True is super swoony and flirts with Gwen even when she doesn't accept it. But when they finally get it together, and give each other a chance, they turn into such a beautiful pairing... much like this margarita and a spot in the sand with this book! 

3. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson & a Sriracha Bloody Mary:
     The hottness in this one will more than likely invoke tears. Second Chance Summer will too. About that fact I am POSITIVE. Add to the fact you will need a friend and a hug after drinking this.... This makes the perfect book and drink pair. 

4. How my Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski & a Flaming Dr. Pepper:
     This one isn't necessarily a summery drink, but at the same time, it goes great with this book. In How My Summer Went Up in Flames when Rosie accidentally sets her boyfriend's car on fire, the flames shoot up just like in this drink. And when her crazy schemes to get back with him turn into stalking, it goes right with the crazy way this drink looks like beer but tastes like my favorite drink... Dr. Pepper! 

5. The Distance Between Us by Kasie West & a Glass Slipper:
     The glass slipper is the Cinderella inspired cocktail. And if you've read The Distance Between Us, you know that this is almost the same tale. Xander is like the prince and Caymen is the girl in non-name brand clothes with way less money than Xander has. But yet, through it all, they end up together. If that's not a Cinderella story, I don't know what is. 



There are so many other pairings that I want to do, but those will have to wait! I will do another one when summer really starts later on!