Boats, Planes, and Trains #7: Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett



So one of my biggest reasons to name my blog Take Me Away was because I have never been many places other than where I've physically lived. To compensate I read many different books so I could visit them in the "literary sense." And now that I've read so many of them, I'm here to talk about my favorite ones. The best part about this... It can range from any genre! As long as I can envision it (or look it up on Google lol) I can see myself "visiting" there! 

Alex, Approximately

     I haven't done one of these in a LONG TIME, but I don't remember another setting touching me and making me WISH I was there quite like this one. I wish I could transport myself to Cornado Cove and stay there. Being from Galveston, Texas, I know a little bit about what it''s like to live next to a beach, and this book made me miss everything about being home. 

If you don't want spoilers on the setting, stop here! 
Image result for yield to surfers sign
     I loved the Yield to Surfers sign. I thought it was an adorable idea and I found it hilarious. It gives a definite sense of the respect that surfers have in that town. Also, I think it's pretty cool that people actually took it as law lol 

Image result for murdoch's galveston

     I also loved seeing the boardwalk and the surf shop. I imagined that it looked sort of like this, but with lots more people. Murdoch's is in Galveston where I'm from! 

Image result for galveston pleasure pier

     Then there's the actual Pleasure Pier. This looks more like the  Boardwalk they had. With the games and the churros (we have funnel cakes, but both are a WIN.) 

Image result for food truck on the boardwalk

And then of course, there's the food trucks on the beach. I definitely had this in mind. The umbrellas for shade and the food trucks on the side. But in my head I saw the sun being more shiny and the beach being a little closer. 



So there you have it! A few pieces of my favorite parts of the setting! 
What were your favorite parts of the setting in Alex, Approximately?
Any of the things I mentioned here?


Thank you Bennett for taking me to "California" even though I've technically never been! It was really interesting to see what it might look like through the eyes of your characters!

See the other states I've visited here: 

Alabama    Alaska     Arizona   Arkansas     California     Colorado     Connecticut     Delaware     Florida     Georgia     Hawaii     Idaho     Illinois     Indiana     Iowa     Kansas     Kentucky     Louisiana     Maine     Maryland     Massachusetts     Michigan     Mississippi     Missouri     Montana     Nebraska     Nevada     New Hampshire     New Jersey     New Mexico     New York     North Carolina     North Dakota     Ohio     Oklahoma     Oregon     Pennsylvania     Rhode Island     South Carolina     South Dakota     Tennessee     Texas     Utah     Vermont     Virginia     Washington     West Virginia     Wisconsin     Wyoming

Road Trip #1-


If you choose to join in, let me know! 




Labels: ,