End of 2013 Book Survey!


1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)

Contemporary- Golden by Jessi Kirby (YA) and Foreplay by Sophie Jordan (NA)
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Pawn by Aimee Carter 
Historical Fiction – N/A I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction. I guess I should
make that how I branch out of my normal genres for 2014!
Paranormal — The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan
Science Fiction — These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Megan Spooner
Fantasy — Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout 

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

 The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

 3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

Altered by Jennifer Rush

 4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

     My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi. You will enjoy it and you will learn something as well! 

 5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

     The Something Strange and Deadly series by Susan Dennard. I wasn't a huge fan of Zombies, but I LOVE this series! 

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

     Victoria Schwab! (Her book The Archived was the first one I read by her and I immediately added ALL her other books to my TBR pile!)

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

     Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. I don't normally pick up books about same sex romances, but OH MY GOD this book you guys. It's so freakin good! Read it, the writing style is amazing! 

 8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

 All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

 9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

     This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales. It was absolutely perfect and fairly short, so I plan to read it again soon! 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

Splintered (Splintered, #1)

11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

     Isaiah and Rachel from Crash Into You by Katie McGarry. I was in love with Isaiah before he even had his own book. And it only solidified that when he got his own book in CIY. And Rachel is such a strong person. She went through SO MUCH. Especially with her family who is supposed to ALWAYS have your back. I loved them both. 

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan. HANDS. DOWN. 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

     Golden by Jessi Kirby and This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith! Golden made me think about how my life is going right now and This is What Happy Looks Like made me think of what REALLY made me happy

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson! (And I BAWLED my eyes out!)

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

Golden
“But what I realize, here, now, is that it's not actually making the choice that takes courage. It's facing it afterward. Owning up to it, whether it's good or bad.”
― Jessi KirbyGolden

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest Losing It by Cora Carmack (204 pages)
LongestCrash Into You by Katie McGarry with 474. (It might've been Clockwork Princess because the hardcover is 490 pages, but my Nook Book was only 412 o_O)

 17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

     The ending of Allegiant by Veronica Roth..... Ok, guys we ALL know what the WTF moment I'm talking about was. I wanted to throw the book. Ugh. (I was one of the "lucky ones" who stayed away from the spoiler when it got leaked!!!) 

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

Romance – Kyler and Sydney from Frigid by J. Lynn. I loved their relationship because they were best friends first. Any relationship that goes from bffs to lovers is a win for me!
Friendship – Rory and Savannah from Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally
Familial — Jude and her dad in The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Frigid by J. Lynn
(Not counting a series)

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

 Unbreak my Heart by Melissa C. Walker
(Thanks Jess from Lovin Los Libros!)

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Contemporary Romance YA

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

Levi from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
He told Cather to READ TO HIM!

23. Best 2013 debut you read?

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. That was a no brainer. There's a reason why it was my favorite book this year!

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell! I related to it so much I began to see myself as Cath! 

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

Easy. Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson. 

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?

     A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook and Brendan Halpin! I saw a lot of people adding it to their TBR piles, but not to many actually reading it! It was an awesome read though! 

 

(optional)


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013? 

     Book Rock Betty! She's HILARIOUS and her husband is as well! He puts up with her bookish habit and I love seeing the videos she makes him be in! She's an awesome blogger and she reads and reviews the most awesome books! (I'm pretty sure I sound like a creeper lol) 

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013? 

     The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan. Mrs. Morgan even commented on it via Twitter and I was pretty proud of myself. 

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

     They weren't so much as discussions, but more some things that were on my mind as I read certain books. Here's a few:
     My Beyond the Book posts for: My Life After Now by Jessica Verdi, Golden by Jessi Kirby, & The Distance Between Us by Kasie West

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

     Book Rock Betty's Rating Books that Aren't Your Favorite Genre! When I first started reviewing I rated every dystopian and fantasy a 3 or less. I guess because I wasn't used to the world. After reading this post it came to my attention and I went back and stopped letting my own mind get in the way of me enjoying the book!

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

     HOUSTON BOOK RAVE! My very first bookish event and author signing EVER that actually happened on my birthday November 2! I had an amazing time and met some of my favorite authors: Jennifer L. Armentrout (!!!), Sophie Jordan, and Rachel Vincent!

6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?

     Meeting JLA on my birthday and her giving me Aiden as a bday surprise! (That's right, he's mine folks, HANDS OFF!) I was also the feature of Follow Friday and a Spring Ambuzzador

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

     One that wasn't a giveaway... (*side eyes everyone lol) It was ironically a TTT post with the topic Books I Wished Were Taught in Schools!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

     Any reviews. I went through and looked at all my stats and ironically most people always by-pass the reviews for the memes. Also, my Beyond the Book posts! I'd love to see what you guys think about them! 

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

     I just received a Kindle this year, so I've finally discovered the "Buy With One Click." This is an amazing yet very PRICEY feature lol 

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

     The only one I really completed was my reading goal. With a few books more as well. But I got pretty close to completing my others. You can see which ones I did in the tab above!  I'll keep that tab up for a while until I decide on what challenges I'm doing for 2014! 


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?

     Spellcaster by Claudia Gray! I've heard good things about this author and I REALLY want to read a witch book! 

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?

     OMG there's way too many to name! Here's a list of sequels I'm looking forward to and other books I'm looking forward to

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

     The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings! I've been following her since before she had a synopsis! I saw she was a Texas author and I will always support my home state!!!! Congrats on everything Lindsay!!!

 4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?

     THE RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hokdin! Let's hope it doesn't get pushed back again! 

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?

     I read 79 books this year... I want to add at least 5 more to that. Even with my busy schedule and future MIT training starting, I hope to get a lot more reading done! Also, I want to get more organized. I want to start reading any review books I have the month before. For example, if it comes out June 2014 I want to read it in May so I can have it scheduled and ready to go.

I really tried not to do any repeats, but with this being mostly about my favorites, it was pretty hard! Give me some of your favorites that you think I would enjoy based on this list! 

Thanks to Jamie over at The Perpetual Page-Turner for the survey! She always has the best ideas! 

Labels: